Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Composting

This is the perfect time to chat about composting. If you are juicing and have a lot of veggie pulp to discard or just prepping your dinner, composting is a great way to give back to our earth and make your soil soar with nutrients! With regular juicing I dump my compost pail about every other day.

In the spring when I am prepping my vegetable garden the hubby uses the rototiller once on the garden without the compost then we add it and he does it again about two times throughout that day. The soil smells about good enough to eat after! I also get random tomato plants popping up everywhere from dried up seeds in the compost.

Below is a picture of my bin. There are tons of options for your pile though. Just a pile in the back of your yard, a box system with a crank (available at lowes or home depot), or something similar to mine. The compost isn't too picky though! I usually use a pitch fork and toss it every week in the warm months and in the cooler months every 2-3 weeks. The things I add to the pile are:

1. All veggie and fruit scraps (if something is on the large side like a grapefruit skin, or pineapple I do cut or tear it up to speed up the decomposition process)

2. Egg shells

3. Pine needles

4. Grass clippings, old mulch

5. Small twigs, branches

I do have a new bamboo compost pail the hubby bought me for Christmas this year which I will share too ; )

No comments:

Post a Comment